Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Community-What Can I Do?

By the time this article gets published Christmas will be over with, but the season has brought some things to my attention. Maine residents are very good at coming together in small groups to help each other during the Christmas season or when someone is in need due to tragedy and illness. This tells me that we do care, but do not know what to do to keep this feeling going throughout the year. I think that the first thing we need to do is to realize what community is.

I believe that community is more than a group of people who live in a specific geographic location such as a neighborhood. A community consists of those same neighbors opening their eyes to really see who lives near them. When you do this you will notice the strengths and gifts that the neighbors have as well as any weaknesses or needs. Once you can see each other as a person with skills you can come together and work on common goals and overcome any weaknesses that you see.

I am still working on this aspect in my life. One way to begin the process is to opening up your home to your neighbors by holding a neighborhood barbeque or party and inviting everyone in the immediate neighborhood. If you cannot afford to supply all of the food or refreshments you can ask your guests to bring something so that you share each other’s cooking. Think about the families with children, and try to have activities that they can do so that they feel welcome. In the summer, if you have the room you could hold a community softball game. In the winter you could hold contests for the best snowman, or snow fort in the neighborhood. Anything that will bring neighbors together is good.

I would like to thank you all for taking the time to read my writing and invite you to comment on anything I say. You can email me at tedbessey@pathwaycrc.org. I usually post my writing at http://ted-growingtogether.blogspot.com/, so if you do not live in the neighborhood and would like to follow my writing you can do so there. I apologize in advance if it takes a while to publish my next article.

2 comments:

David Solmitz said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. You are determined to foster and nurture a caring community. A friend of ours in Mercer received a grant from Maine Expansion Arts for Nancy Tyndall's Milweed Puppet Theater. She did a show and a workshop for children. Because of the grant the program was free. This grant program may be something to look into. Organizing a Friday evening at the elementary or middle school for parents and children to come together to watch a movie. A parent group can organize the event with snacks. Kids can bring blankets or sleeping bags to sit on during the show. David

David Solmitz said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.